Special Event Permits
Special event permits help facilitate temporary outdoor activities that stimulate economic growth and provide a vibrant active community for all citizens.
Days in Advance
Events with no street closures must apply 30 days in advance of event setup date.
Days in Advance
Events with static street closures are events confined within a set footprint, and they are required to apply 60 days in advance of event setup date.
Days in Advance
Events that are not confined to a fixed location are moving events, and they must apply 120 days in advance of event setup date.
When is a permit required for a Special Event?
Any temporary outdoor gathering, with an expected total attendance of 100 or more, which involves one or more of the following on private or public property where otherwise prohibited:
- Restricting access to public property;
- Sale of merchandise, food, or beverage (nonalcoholic and/or alcoholic);
- Erection of a tent larger than 399 square feet in area OR erection of multiple tents with a cumulative area of over 399 square feet;
- Installation of a temporary stage, band shell, outdoor projection technology, trailer, van, grandstand, bleachers, or portable toilets for public use;
- Use of City Hall Plaza;
- All moving events – runs, walks, rides, special event parades, processions;
- Placement of event signage including temporary no parking, directional, over sized, sponsor, or identification signs or banners that are placed in or over a public right-of-way, or on private property where otherwise prohibited by ordinance;
- Clean zone activation; and/or
- Closing or restricting of a public street, lane, alley, or sidewalk (regardless of the expected total attendance).
For a list of permit exemptions, please reference the guidebook.
All application processing fees must be paid for the process to begin.
The purpose of the guidebook is to provide the event planner with information, tools and resources necessary to navigate the permit process.
Please read the guidebook and look over the templates before completing your application.
Templates and Forms
The Templates and Forms provided will help you fulfil the requirements for your permit issuance.
High Impact Area
Some areas of the City have been designated as High Impact Areas, and they have specific requirements to limit the impact to residents and businesses.
City & Venue Contact Information
This contact list includes other city departments, venues around the city, and other rescources.
These venue maps include venues around the city that are managed by various entities.
Frequently asked questions.
Complete and submit the application with in the applicable number of days prior to the first day of setup for your special event. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
Upon confirming all requirements have been met, the Office of Special Events will issue the permit. The permit will list the conditions and/or restrictions for which the applicant must uphold. It is imperative to read the permit very carefully to understand all of the final conditions