The motion picture industry creates jobs for the development of the creative arts industry, as does the production of TV programs, commercials, and video games.
Days in Advance
*Applicants requesting to film on a Monday must submit applications by the previous Wednesday at noon.
Templates and Forms
Some filming requires notifications 3 days in advance of filming activity.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING CORONAVIRUS COVID-19
Currently, the Office of Special Events is not issuing any new permits.
Please see below for when a permit is required for your filming project.
Click below for more information.
When is a commercial filming permit needed?
- For any filming or related activities on real property, building, facilities, public space and tangible property. To include all types of independent and studio productions such as but not limited to; Still Photography, Commercials, Documentaries, Feature Films, Television Series, Television Movies, Television Shows, Webisodes, Public Service Announcements, Music Videos, Student Films & Corporate Shoots.
- Utilizing city streets or alleyways (i.e., street closure, lane closure, intermittent traffic control or requiring traffic interruption).
- Utilizing public sidewalks in which the filming activity requires the sidewalk to be ‘closed or blocked’ to public access.
- Filming/still photography of the Dallas Police Department, Dallas Fire-Rescue Department or other city personnel, to include ‘said’ property.
- Filming/still photography of the official flag, seal, shield, service mark, badge, or other insignia of the city or a department of the city, or a facsimile of the flag, seal, shield, service mark, badge, or other insignia of the city or a department of the city.
- Parking on a restricted curb lane or street.
- Filming B-roll of any city property including but not limited to; City Parks, Pioneer Plaza, Dealey Plaza or City Hall Plaza.
- Use of city owned facilities of the City of Dallas
- The Office of Special Events determines the need in other filming situations to include general B-roll and Student Films.
For additional information please contact:
The Office of Special Events