STREET POLE BANNERS
The City of Dallas banner program was designed to add life and color to the city’s streetscape while at the same time promoting special events and other cultural or sporting activities of benefit to the City.
Banners in association with an approved special event activity or special event permit authorized under Ch. 42A of the Dallas City Code are eligible for placement, including but not limited to, art shows, concerts, festivals, major sports celebrations, parades and runs. Please note the placement of banners for the purpose of commercial advertising is not allowed as part of this program.
Street pole banners must be in accordance with the requirements of the Dallas City Code, Ch. 51A. Street pole banners must also meet the sign construction and design standards in the Dallas Building Code.
Banners are permitted on street light poles as long as the banners and their hardware meet the sign construction and design standards contained in the Dallas Building Code (51-A) and comply with all applicable requirements, laws & ordinances.
Requirements include, but are not limited to the following regulations;
- A banner must display a pre-approved promotional message, a welcome message, or generic graphics. No sponsorship identification is permitted on a banner.
- No more than 10 percent of the effective area of a banner may contain a welcome message that identifies and greet a group using city property in accordance with a contact, license, or permit.
- Up to 10% of the effective area of a banner may contain the word(s) or logo(s) that identify a sponsor of a cultural event or activity is the sponsor’s name is part of the name of the activity or event.
- A banner having either a promotional message or a welcome message may not be erected more than 90 days prior to the beginning of the advertised activity or event, and must be removed no later than 15 days after that activity or event has ended.
- The sign hardware may be left in place between displays of a banner.
- A banner and its sign hardware must:
- be mounted on a pre-approved streetlight pole;
- be at least 12 feet above grade, unless it overhands a roadway, in which case it must be at least 15 feet above grade;
- be made from weather-resistant and rust-proof material;
- do not project more than 3 feet from the pole onto which it is mounted;
- not exceed 20 square feet in effective area (SEC.51A-7.914) and do not exceed 50 square feet in effective area (SEC51-7.1729).
- the maximum number of street light banner is two per pole, with each banner on opposite sides of the pole;
- Banners shall not interfere with emergency equipment, including fire, police, medical, electrical, commercial vehicles and trucks or bus transportation;
- No sign permit or certificate of appropriateness is required to erect or remove a banner (ord. Nos 21404;24606;24925)
Click here for the Oncor Electric Delivery Decorative Banner & Sign Placement Guidelines.
How do I apply?
APPLICATION AND APPROVAL PROCESS
The application for a Street Pole Banner permit requesting the placement of banners must be submitted online to the Office of Special Events at least 45 business days prior to the proposed banner installation date.
As part of the application, the applicant shall provide the following;
- Street names, block numbers and field locator numbers. (An application without the specific poles identified does not begin the permit process)
- Quantity of poles in each block
- Scheduling dates of installation and removal
- Proposed graphic design
- Installation company contact information
Following a preliminary review of the application, the Office of Special Events will notify the applicant to confirm receipt of the application and discuss any potential scheduling conflicts. The banner application is distributed to relevant city departments for review. The city departments require a 10 day review process. If there are no concerns through the review process, a Street Pole Banner Permit approving the placement of the banners will be issued. A permit will not be released from the Office of Special Events without the written approval form from Oncor/TXU for the use of the poles, approved insurance, approved graphics and applicable fees are collected.
Installation, Maintenance and Removal
The applicant is responsible for the installation, maintenance and removal of the banners. It is recommended the applicant retain the services of a private contractor.
If applicant is hiring a subcontractor to handle the installation, maintenance and removal services for the banners, the applicant is required to ensure its, subcontractors, laborers, materialmen and suppliers meet all Street Pole Banner guidelines, specifications and comply with all city ordinances.
For installation, banners must be attached to banner hardware, which must be attached to the street light poles with proper banding materials. Applicants are advised that street light poles cannot be penetrated or altered in any manner by the installation or removal of banners or banner hardware.
To facilitate traffic and parking management during installation, the applicant and/or the installation company must coordinate the specific dates and times with the Office of Special Events. Installation vehicles must display amber strobes lights while installing and removing banners.
To ensure banners remain safe and attractive, the applicant is responsible for monitoring and maintaining the banners at all times. If a problem unrelated to public safety exits, the applicant is required to remove, replace, repair, or otherwise correct the problem within 48 hours of notice. If a public safety-related problem is discovered, the applicant must act immediately to correct the problem, and if it fails to do so, the City of Dallas may act to correct the problem at the expense of the applicant.
Any permanent banner or hardware that is moved or removed during the installation shall be put back in place once banners are removed. Any damage to the banner hardware or streetlight poles shall be reported to the Office of Special Events.
A $30 processing fee is assessed to each Street Pole Banner application along with the following fees:
- In association with a Special Event Permit – $10 per pole
- In association with an approved (non-permitted) special event activity – $20 per pole
A $40 late application fee is assessed to all applications not received within 45 business days of the banner installation date.
Following the submission of an application, the client will receive an invoice from OSE for all applicable fees. All fees are non-refundable and must be in the form of a Money Order, Check or Debit/Credit Card to the City of Dallas Office of Special Events. Processing of the application will not begin until receipt of the processing fee.
The applicant shall procure and keep in full force and effect for the duration of the banner installation, minimum insurance written by an insurance company approved by the State of Texas and acceptable to the city and issued in the standard form approved by the Texas Department of insurance. All provisions of each policy must be acceptable to the city and name the City of Dallas and its officers, employees and elected representatives as additional insured. Insurer must provide a Waiver of Subrogation to the City of Dallas, its officers, employees for bodily injury (including death), property damage or any other loss. A Certificate of Liability Insurance must be submitted before permit is released.
Please refer to the Street Pole Banner Insurance Requirements for a complete list of requirements.
Additionally, if applicant is hiring a subcontractor to handle the installation, maintenance and removal services for the banners, the applicant is required to ensure its, subcontractors, laborers, materialmen and suppliers meet all Street Pole Banner guidelines, specifications and comply with all city ordinances.
How to locate Street Poles
Option 1 – Preferred method:
- Click on blue search button on top left,
- Enter street address (be sure to enter city and state)
- Hit ‘search’
- The map shows all street poles that are installed in that block range – each yellow dot represents a pole.
- Zoom in until yellow dots are visible.
- Right click on a yellow dot/pole to see the assigned Field Locator Number (FLN).
- List each specific FLN requested on your application.
This option is acceptable only for those areas of Dallas that do not have Oncor FLN’s assigned.
Submit a google earth screen shot or a map of the requested area with each specific pole requested circled.
It is important to note, many of the street light poles in Dallas commonly used for the placement of special events banners are owned by ONCOR/TXU Electric and not the City of Dallas. If an applicant proposes to place banners on street light poles owned by ONCOR/TXU Electric, the Office of Special Events will notify the applicant of the requirement to contact and seek necessary approval from ONCOR/TXU Electric.
Click here for the Oncor Electric Delivery Decorative Banner & Sign Placement Guidelines.