1. Where is the Office of Special Events located?
    The Office of Special Events is located in the Dallas Convention Center at 650 South Griffin Street.

    The entrance to the office is off of Akard Street, just across from City Hall. Our office is on the arena concourse across from Section 7, 8, 9.

  2. What are your office hours?
    Office hours are 8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday through Friday. Please contact us at 214-939-2701 or visit our website at dallasspecialevents.com
  3. When do I need a Film Permit?
    A Film Permit is required when:
  • Filming takes place on real property, building, facility, public space and tangible property.
  • Utilizing city streets or alleyways (i.e., street closure, lane closure, intermittent traffic control or requiring traffic interruption).
  • Filming the Dallas Police Department or Dallas Fire-Rescue Department to include ‘said’ property.
  • Parking on restricted curb lanes and/or streets during the rush hour ban.
  • Filming the official flag, seal, shield, service mark, badge, or other insignia of the city or a department of the city or a facsimile of the flag, seal, shield, service mark, badge, or other insignia of the city or a department of the city.
  • The Office of Special Events determines the need in other filming situations to include BRoll and Student Films.
  1. How do I apply for a Film Permit to film in the City of Dallas?
    The applicant is required to submit the following:
  • The Commercial Filming Application online, to be filled out and signed. All submissions are required to reach our office a minimum of 2-3 business days prior to filming.
  • Certificate of Insurance – The listed insurer on the COI must be the same name listed on the application, each document must cross reference the other.
  • Payment of the Processing Fee.
  1. Is there a cost for the Film Permit?
    There is no cost for the Film Permit itself however there are two Processing Fees outlined on the Commercial Film Application. The fee is nonrefundable & payable by check, money order, debit card or credit card (Master Card, VISA or AMEX)
  • $50.00 – General Processing Fee
  • $250.00 – Processing Fee depending on the complexity of the film request which would apply to projects including but not limited to those that involve extensive planning and requires multiple locations (more than 2) to include multiple street closures, lane closures, intermittent traffic control, affecting the DART lane(s), traffic management and complexity of the film request.
  1. How long will it take to get my Film Permit?
    In most cases, applications are reviewed the same day they are received. Each city department affected must review the film request. Issuance of the Film Permit depends on the complexity of the request. The Office of Special Events makes every effort to process your permit as quickly as possible.

    Commercial Film Permits are normally issued within 2-3 business days after receiving the application. However, should the film project require multiple days, locations (more than 2), street closure(s), lane closure(s) and/or intermittent traffic control or extensive planning, this may take more than the 2-3 days to issue the permit.

  1. Does filming on a sidewalk require a Film Permit?
    Filming on the sidewalk does not require a Film Permit provided that the sidewalk is not ‘closed’ or ‘blocked’ as ingress/egress must be given to daily foot traffic, to surrounding residents and to area businesses at all times.
    Should your film shoot require that the sidewalk be closed or if dolly tracks will be utilized, please contact OSE as this request would require the clearance from the Department of Transportation.
  2. How do I update a permit I already have?
    Currently, one application allows entries for multiple locations. If you are requesting additional locations and/or extending the date or time-frame after the submission of the application, written communication via email is required to OSE and an explanation of the change. Changes to the original request will incur a ‘change fee’ per change and processed according to the film policy.
  3. Why do I need insurance, we are a very small production company?
    Whether you are a crew of 1 or 100, the City of Dallas requires evidence of insurance in the form of a Certificate of Insurance. You must add the City of Dallas as additional insured along with permit applicants. This is to protect the city’s interest in the event of a third party claim arising from the permit applicant’s operations.
  4. What kind of insurance is required in order to get a permit?
    The City of Dallas requires a General Liability policy for $2,000,000 naming the City of Dallas, its officers and employees as additional insured. Please refer to the Liability Requirements.
  5. When do I need police assistance on a set? You will need to hire off-duty Dallas Police for assistance if your film shoot involves any interruption of traffic, lane or street closure, intermittent traffic control, stunts, and weapons or if your actors are wearing Dallas Police Department, Dallas Fire Rescue Department, Emergency Medical Technician or other costumes resembling uniformed personnel.
  6. How do I get police assistance?
    Contact the Office of Special Events at 214-939-2701 and we will direct you to a DPD officer who can further assist you with your shoot.The applicant is responsible for direct payment to the officer at the time of filming.

    The DPD supervisor will enforce the Noise Ordinance, reserves the right to add staffing when applicable and/or cancel the film shoot due to safety hazards and/or violation of the noise ordinance.

  1. Do I need to notify businesses or neighborhoods when filming in the area?
    Yes. Three (3) days prior to the event date, deliver written notice to all owners or occupants of real property abutting the filming area. Ensure that businesses and residents are allowed ingress/egress to and from their place of business and/or residence. The Office of Special Events must receive a copy of the Notification Letter prior to releasing the final Film Permit.The notice must include the following information:
  • Event date, time and location
  • the contact name and number of the production company / scout and/or producer
  • that an application for a Commercial Film Permit been filed; and
  • interested persons may contact the Office of Special Events at 650 S. Griffin Street, Dallas, TX 75202, 214-939-2701.    
  1. What guidelines are required when closing a city lane(s) and/or street(s)?
    Please refer to the City of Dallas Traffic Barricade Manual.
  2. What other permits may be required?
    Dallas Fire Rescue Department requires that the applicant obtain an additional permit for special effects, pyrotechnics, tents erected larger than 399 square feet, or use of liquid propane. All required documentation must be presented to DFR at least five (5) days prior to usage in accordance with state law.

    The applicant must obtain these permits from the Dallas Fire and Rescue Department by contacting Sr. Prevention Officer Ashley Yarberry at 214-670-7308, ashley.yarberry@dallascityhall.comor Sr. Prevention Officer Billy Record at 214-670-4342, billy.record@dallascityhall.com

  3. Do I need a Film Permit to film the Dallas Police or Fire Department?
    Yes, provided that the request is clearly outlined and submitted via the Commercial Film Application within the required time-frame for permitting.
  4. Do I need a Film Permit to shoot a Student Film?
    Yes, if your film shoot is on public property. The student (applicant) is to submit the following:
  • Commercial Filming Application – 2-3 business days prior to the film shoot or 3-4 business days if the project requires extensive planning or multiple locations.
  • Waiver Release Form – Each student (including talent) is to complete a waiver form. The applicant is then to submit the signed waiver forms to the Film Permit Coordinator prior to filming.
  • Letter from the school/university – Obtain and submit a letter from the teacher on school letterhead outlining the following:
    Name of the student
    Name of the class
    Confirmation that the student is currently enrolled at the school/university and is in good standing
    Confirmation that the film project is for school credit
  • Processing Fee – generally $50.00 however it is waived for students filming a ‘one day’ project. Should filming involve multiple days, location and/or extensive planning, the fee is required.
  • Certificate of Insurance is not required however the student(s) are required to sign a Waiver Release Form from the City of Dallas / OSE.
  1. I am interested in doing a photo shoot / filming at a few locations, how would I know if these locations require a Film Permit?
    Public properties merit a Film Permit from the Office of Special Events, if you are unsure if the location is public or private, contact the Office of Special Events at 214-939-2701 to provide you with the appropriate information.
  2. How do I find out about the Texas Incentive Program?
    By visiting the Texas Film Commission web site.
  3. Who can I contact to assist in securing film locations of privately owned businesses?
    Contact the Dallas Film Commission at 214-671-9821.



CES-FRM-361, Rev.2, Eff. 06/26/13