Commercial Filming Permit Policy
A Film Permit is required:
- For any filming, or related activities, in Dallas public space.
- When utilizing city streets or alleys (i.e., street closures, lane closures or requiring intermittent traffic control).
- When filming the Dallas Police Department or Dallas Fire-Rescue Department to include ‘said’ property.
- Parking on restricted curb lanes or streets and/or parking during the rush hour ban.
- When filming at Pioneer Plaza, the official flag, seal, shield, service mark, badge, or other insignia of the city or a department of the city, or a facsimile of the flag, seal, shield, service mark, badge, or other insignia of the city or a department of the city.
A Film Permit is “not” required:
- When filming on public sidewalks. Sidewalks are considered “public right of way”, access to the public must be given at all times. Parking of production or crew vehicles on the sidewalks is strictly prohibited.
- When filming on privately owned/managed property provided that the applicant obtains the clearance to film from the property owner.
1. Commercial Filming Application – Applications are required no less than 2-3 business days prior to the shoot date. Complete, sign and submit online. If the film project is extensive with multiple locations and requires extensive planning, it is essential to have the application submitted no less than 5-7 business days. Incomplete applications may cause delay and/or prevent the actual issuance of the film permit. Submission of application does not guarantee permit issuance. Changes to the event information will only be accepted by either the primary contact or emergency contact listed on the application and must be made in writing. Each change will include a $40 Change Fee. No changes can be made to the application the day of the scheduled film date.
2. Certificate of Liability Insurance – Refer to the this pdf where the liability requirements are outlined.
3. Processing Fee – Generally $50.00 in the form of a Money Order or Check made payable to the Office of Special Events prior to filming. Credit/Debit Cards are also accepted either by phone or in person at OSE. Permit fees are non-refundable once the application has been processed. However applicant may be required to pay $250.00 which applies to projects, including but not limited to film projects that involve extensive planning and requires more than 2 locations to include affecting any of the following: multiple street closures, multiple lane closures, intermittent traffic control, affects the DART route, traffic management and complexity of the film request.
Upon receipt of the Commercial Filming Permit Application, the Office of Special Events (OSE) will process by contacting the applicant to review the film request. The OSE will also contact the appropriate city departments affected to obtain clearances for the applicant which could take up to 48 hours (2 business days) to receive. Upon receiving the clearances, the applicant will be contacted and issued a Commercial Film Permit by email along with a copy of the receipt for payment of the processing fee.
Should filming require the assistance from the Dallas Police Department and/or Dallas Fire Rescue Department, a contact from each department will be given to the applicant. The starting rate for ‘off-duty’ DPD Officers is $40.00/hr at a 4 hour minimum.
*Applicants requesting to film on a Monday must submit their applications no later than the previous Wednesday by 12:00pm.
For additional information please contact:
Special Events Film Coordinator
Special Events Film Coordinator
Parking Meter Permits/Bagging
If parking meters need to be bagged (reserved), a separate permit is required through the Dallas Parking Department. A fee equal to the average income the meters produce will be charged *as well as a $55.00 Administration Fee. *There is a $50.00 fee for hoodings (and/or unhoodings) taking place on a Saturday, Sunday, or Holiday as well as applications received after 1:00 PM, NO EXCEPTIONS.
To apply for a permit: You must fax or email the application requesting meters be bagged no later than 48 hours before the hooding needs to be completed and it must include the following; Beginning date and time, ending date and time, name of street, block numbers, which side(s) of street (north, south, etc…), and specific meter numbers.
Each meter will have a small plate under the face with a series of numbers and letters (Example: SS300S).Dallas Parking Meter Operations Hours – Monday-Friday 8am – 5pm
Contact: Monica Ochoa 320 E. Jefferson Blvd., Suite 100 Dallas, Texas 75203 phone: 214-671-1324 fax: 214-948-4459
email: Monica.Ochoa@acs-inc.com Parking Meter Hooding Application